Hey Software Vendors – Get a Clue!

Psst. Hey Vendor – DBAs are secretly plotting against you! We hate what your products do to our environments. Sometimes we even work to get you replaced by someone else who makes a product in the same space but is “DBA-Approved”….

What’s that? You want the DBA stamp of approval?

I write this blog to help folks so I’ll pretend I’m not at work in a meeting railing on about how your product has no indexes or has way too permissive security or doesn’t think to recommend index maintenance. That’s right… I’ll help you. Why? Because I want you to succeed. I want to like working with you. I want you to be “DBA-Approved”

A History

You don’t have to look to hard to find blog posts of DBAs annoyed with vendor gaffes. There are some great vendors who really understand their destination database environment. They go out of their way to make sure their client properly backs up and maintains the environment. They performance test and look at best practices. There are a lot who don’t.

I’ve worked as a consultant for a vendor who wanted to do a better job in helping their customers handle the SQL Server environment they ship their app on. I’ve worked full time for a vendor who didn’t. I can tell you that my experience with the latter was early on in my career as a tech support engineer and I got a lot of painful calls from customers up a creek. Customers who maybe would have been better off with some prescriptive guidance…

But We Don’t Own Their Environment!

I know. But you didn’t tell the client that they really needed a DBA to look over their SQL Server environment did you? You might have even marketed it as “so easy! A few clicks and our installation is complete!”. I’m not saying you should own their environment. I’m not saying you should coddle each customer and play the role of DBA. I am saying that you should….

Care Enough To Do It Right

That’s right. I’m appealing to your heart. Though, if you do a great job it becomes marketing and word of mouth advertising. You’ll also be able to receive less “basic” support calls or deal with upset customers who got in trouble because of database issues. What about the lost business because of clients talking to other potential clients? Or IT staff commiserating with IT staff at user group meetings? Now I’m appealing to your bottom line, I hope?

Some Thoughts on Doing It Right

I’m not asking for much. This list is a good start. We might revisit this post in the future with more but starting with some basics, you’ll be on your way to being a “DBA-Approved” software vendor:

• Cheat – If you are looking to have your software sold and installed at a company that I work at, consult for or have worked at. Be prepared to answer these questions. Maybe all don’t apply, maybe some look like gibberish. Learn about the terms and understand why a DBA would ask. Send me an e-mail or leave a comment if you are confused about why I ask a question
  • Learn and Know SQL Server – What kind of SQL Server expertise do you have on staff? You probably have some great developers but do you have someone with a DBA interest and skill set? Do you have someone who stays involved in the SQL Server community? Check out sites like SQLSkills, SQLBlog, SQL Server Central, SQLServerPedia and the SQLPASS organization.
  • Speaking of PASS – PASS is the Professional Association for SQL Server users. It is a great organization with a lot of resources for us in the SQL Server space. They have a huge annual Summit with a lot of great technical content. Send someone to the conference and have them sit in the sessions. Have them talk to DBAs (we aren’t shy…)
  • Documentation? Do you provide anything to your clients (especially those smaller shops that may not have a dedicated DBA, even if I think they should) around recommended best practices for database maintenance, backups, troubleshooting, etc.? You should.
  • Best Practice Review – From some of the communities/blogs mentioned above you can find a lot of intelligent and experienced DBAs who can help you review your application from a database performance and best practices point of view. I would hazard to say that even just 12-24 hours of billable time can gain you a lot of customer good will. I know I’ve helped folks out with this in the past and as a DBA on the receiving end, it makes a difference working with a vendor who has Database best practices in mind.
  • Security! Please. Don’t. Ask. For. Sysadmin (SA). Rights!!! Please don’t even ask for DBO, if you can avoid it. You should be using role based security with least privilege. It would be nice if you used Active Directory security and integrated with our AD but I’ll even let you use SQL authenticated if you stop asking for SA rights! Let me review your deploys and see the scripts that get run. Do your deploys with the least privilege necessary or heck, let me do it for you… I’m not being a jerk, I’m trying to do my job as a DBA.
  • Backup/Restore – It goes with the database maintenance documentation above. I wanted to call it out here separately. Work with your clients on best practices for backup and recovery. Learn about them yourselves first. Don’t just install someplace and expect it all to be fine. Ask your support teams if they’ve dealt with a client who lost more data than they were willing. Ask them how that call went.
  • Don’t Go With Defaults – There have been lots of blog posts about this that you should read to get an idea of what I mean -My thoughts, Paul Randal, Aaron Bertrand and plenty of others linked from those  – Back? Alright, learn about how to install SQL Server and include that in the documentation. Talk about recovery models so you don’t end up with huge transaction logs and bad advice being given to your customer’s IT support team from Google and forums.

Was That So Horrible?

I don’t think anything on there is going to make you freeze your code, hire a lot of developers or Project Managers. Sure if you don’t have the expertise on staff, you might engage a consultant and spend $5,000 or less on reviewing your docs and plans but how much will it cost you in lost opportunity to not do that?

Thanks for listening and I really hope you think about some of the points above or some of the points mentioned in my DBA Questions for Vendors list referenced earlier. I want your product to be a success and I want to see us DBAs start writing positive vendor rants (well.. Asking a DBA, a pessimist by trade, to be positive is a bit much. Maybe we can at least stop with the negative rants if you take some steps with us).

My offer stands – shoot me an e-mail or leave a comment below and I’ll help you out with a quick question as time allows, I might be busy consulting for a client of yours having headaches with their SQL Server environment ;-)

Tags: , ,

24 Comments

1. Kimberly L. Tripp July 2, 2010 at 10:57 #

Hey there Mike – Nice post. It’s true though – there are some really great ideas and products out there. They really know THEIR problem space well and they create a wonderful app around that space. However, when it comes to their data store – many don’t scale or do (as you’ve mentioned) quite horrible things!

I’m always excited when vendors DO ask the right questions and really care about the long term use and scalability of their apps. There are a lot of things that they can do (many of which are NOT difficult) to help their customers SIGNIFICANTLY!

Cheers,
    Kimberly

• Mike Walsh July 2, 2010 at 10:59 #

Thanks, Kimberly!

Definitely true, it makes me excited to hear someone at a vendor trying to do it right. You guys at SQL Skills are definitely one such resource a software vendor could reach out to if they needed some consulting help to review their best practices. I know you’ve done it before and I am sure you have a lot of vendors in a great place because of your involvement.

2. K. Brian Kelley July 2, 2010 at 11:07 #

No, don’t allow ‘em to go with SQL Server-based logins. Windows logins! There are exceptions (What’s Up!, for instance), but those should be rare and well-reasoned. In What’s Up!’s case, it is used to monitor AD controllers. Obviously, if AD controllers are down, no Windows auth. And it needs to log that. But otherwise, no SQL Server-based logins!

• Mike Walsh July 2, 2010 at 11:10 #

Sounds fair to me, Brian. :-) I knew I could count on you for that comment, was actually half expecting it. I went back and forth while typing it.

There are some apps that just don’t natively integrate with AD and manage their own user tables/etc. so I didn’t want to single them out. But since I’m talking to vendors here, I guess I should say –> It isn’t that difficult to go windows authentication… DO IT!

3. SQLAJ July 2, 2010 at 11:19 #

Mike,
    I must admit I am guilty of some but not all of the bad things you mention. At least the offenses were in the past during my “ignorant” days. Over the years I have learned and try my best to communicate during planning sessions on standards that we need to incorporate into our product.
    Good points to consider. I’ll definitely use you “DBA Questions…” in the future.
    Thanks

• Mike Walsh July 2, 2010 at 12:42 #

Sounds good, AJ. Please add any to the comments you like and I’ll make sure to try and keep the list updated. We all have a history… As long as you are growing, don’t worry about it – we all have to learn sometime.

4. Jon DiPietro July 2, 2010 at 11:39 #

Like SQLAJ, I was guilty of a few of these infractions in the past. At the end of the day, a solid DBA ends up saving me (a software vendor) time over the long term. I love it when my customer has a knowledgeable DBA.

Having said that, I may need to write a companion blog from the other perspective – tyrannical DBAs. I have one such customer who treats his vendors like ants he can fry under a magnifying glass.

• Mike Walsh July 2, 2010 at 12:41 #

Thanks for the comment, Jon… Glad to hear that a good DBA is a valuable asset with the clients of your software.

I will add though… I’m surprised you never noticed my gigantic Magnifying glass on my cube when we worked together… Why do you think I liked the window seat? mwooohahahahahahahh

• Jon DiPietro July 2, 2010 at 13:20 #

Oh, is that what that was?! I thought it was the Eye of Sauron burning a hole in the back of my head.

• Mike Walsh July 2, 2010 at 13:21 #

Same thing, except for I use it for good.

5. Jack Corbett July 2, 2010 at 12:17 #

Mike, nice post. Under backup/recovery vendors need to be sure that they include system database backups when they work with small shops without a DBA on site. I had an instance where the vendor WAS backing up their application databases, but NOT system databases. Well, msdb was corrupted in a power failure and guess what? Those scheduled application database backups stopped occurring. Then 3 months later the box failed and no recent backups.

• Mike Walsh July 2, 2010 at 12:40 #

Great point, Jack. Those system databases are often overlooked. By vendors and DBAs alike.

6. James Cornell July 6, 2010 at 12:55 #

Good post Mike.

I am still amazed at how many times even the big vendors say they have to have sa rights. It instantly shows some laziness on their side that they didn’t take the time to identify the minimum required permissions needed.

• Mike Walsh July 6, 2010 at 16:44 #

Thanks for the comment, James. I agree with you about the appearance of laziness. The thing is, it wouldn’t take that long to address the security of an application and it would go a long ways to a better experience for users. My guess is that this is typically a “we’ve always done it this way” situation… An old CEO once gave a good illustration of this that he picked up someplace… About cutting the end off of a roast.. Snopes has the story in a few flavors – http://www.snopes.com/weddings/newlywed/secret.asp

7. Andy Grant July 21, 2010 at 13:32 #

Great post Mike!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. AndyLeonard - July 2, 2010

Another great post by @mike_walsh http://tinyurl.com/24gxmyv :{>

2. Jorge Segarra - July 2, 2010

3. Jon DiPietro - July 2, 2010

RT @mike_walsh : Hey Software Vendors – Get a Clue! http://bit.ly/aSlFKF

4. David Taylor - July 2, 2010

+2! RT @SQLChicken: RT @AndyLeonard Another great post by @mike_walsh http://tinyurl.com/24gxmyv :{>

5. blogs of the world - July 2, 2010

Hey Software Vendors ? Get a Clue! Psst. Hey Vendor ? DBAs are secretly plotting against y… http://reduce.li/8bzfed #clue

6. James Cornell - July 6, 2010

RT @mike_walsh: Hey Software Vendors – Get a Clue (about Databases, at least) http://bit.ly/9OMOlc

7. SQL Server Licensing, more difficult than tax forms | StraightPath Consulting's SQL Server Blog - July 27, 2010

[...] and always double check. Even if the information comes from a trusted vendor (you know how I feel about that), you could be breaking the law or throwing away company money. Neither are great career [...]

8. SQL Server Join Syntax - It's Changed! | Straight Path Solutions, a SQL Server Consultancy - December 3, 2012

[...] on your performance, maintenance recommendations and code can help me not write blog posts like this and instead write posts like this. </shameless self [...]

9. If You Like Your Query Plan, You Can Keep Your Query Plan | Straight Path Solutions, a SQL Server ConsultancyStraight Path Solutions, a SQL Server Consultancy - November 18, 2013

[…] plan guides is often with interesting vendor databases. You know the kind. The kind of vendor I write blog posts whining about. Their code isn’t great, their support is worse and they’ve done some interesting […]